If hoteliers are looking to increase engagement and traffic to their websites, then video must be a part of the marketing plan as it is now the most sought-after form of content on the internet;
Most of the people on the internet are viewing videos and in a few years, the majority of content online will be video. There is countless marketing research revealing the popularity and impact of video.
Here are a few stats that show why video marketing is important for hotels.
- 20% of users read text while 80% will watch a video with the same content. This shows that video is more appealing and easier to consume than text.
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world. Google, of course, is #1 and Google owns YouTube. So by having a hotel video on YouTube, your content will appear on the two largest search engines on the internet.
- Every month, more than one billion people visit YouTube to watch more than six billion hours of video. YouTube is the promised land for marketing your hotel through video. On YouTube, your video content is exposed to a population of internet users that almost matches the populations of China or India.
- 100 million internet users watch online video each day. Though not all of them are watching travel videos, this is still a large number of people who can possibly see your video. Even if only 1% sees you video, that’s still 100,000 users that have become aware of your property.
- The average user is exposed to an average of 32.2 videos in a month. That’s about 3,864 videos a year. With users encountering so many videos throughout the year, your hotel marketing videos have a big chance of being viewed.
- 74% of all internet traffic in 2017 will be video. In two years, most of the people will be online to watch videos. Creating strong video content will help your hotel keep up with the times.
- 33% of tablet owners watch one hour of video per day on their device. 89.7 million smartphone video viewers in the US in 2014. Viewing video on mobile devices is becoming increasingly popular. Be sure that your marketing videos are optimized for small screens.
- Views of travel-related content up 118% year over year (YoY). The number of people viewing content specific to travel is increasing exponentially. Why not be a part of the travel video revolution?
- 88% of YouTube Travel Searches Focus on Destinations. This is where the hotel becomes extremely important. When people know their destination, the next step is to find a great hotel.
- Bookings are 67% more likely to happen when a video tour is available. As mentioned in my article about impactful types of video, digital tours of your hotel property are a powerful form of video content.
- 65% of business executives visit the marketer’s website after viewing a video. A good video can generate more business traveller traffic to your hotel website which can improve direct booking numbers.
- 52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI. Hoteliers want to gain from their digital marketing investments. Video is one of the more efficient ways to achieve those gains.
Interesting Quote About the Impact of Video
“One minute of video is worth 1.8 million words” – Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research
Though some have quoted this statement as fact, it is indeed just a hyperbolic twist to the “A picture is worth a thousand words” quote that is often used in content marketing. A picture is worth 1000 words, there are 30 frames (pictures) per second in a standard video, and there are 60 seconds in a minutes. So 1000 x 30 x 60 = 1.8 million.
Even though this statement isn’t scientifically accurate, it’s still a testament to how powerful video marketing content can be for your hotel.
E-Marketing Associates helps independent hotels increase direct bookings and reduce reliance on OTAs. We build innovative online marketing products that deliver the best ROI for independent hotels. Our products aim to ultimately drive top-line revenue.