TV travel advertising in the U.S. has suddenly become more crowded and competitive, and as Expedia Inc. brands struggled to break through the clutter in the second quarter, the company’s hotel business suffered, and its Hotwire unit took a particularly hard hit.
Amidst some downbeat financials, that was the competitive climate that officials said Expedia operated in during the quarter.
The impact of Expedia’s multifaceted woes? Room night growth decelerated from 28% year-over year in the first quarter to 19% in the second quarter, and revenue growth likewise slowed from 24% in the first quarter to 16% in the second.
And, Expedia Inc.’s net income declined 27% to $90.5 million in the second quarter of 2013, compared with the same period a year earlier
- Top Travel Industry CEOs on Social Media – Skift (cmosintravel.com)
- Shares of Expedia tumble 25 percent after online travel giant hits Q2 ‘headwinds’ (geekwire.com)
- Expedia admits that TripAdvisor and Booking.com are hurting it hard (tnooz.com)
- Statistics on the US TV fight among TripAdvisor, Expedia, and Priceline (tnooz.com)
- Expedia 2Q profit drops 32 percent (miamiherald.com)